Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Thoughts on a Funeral.

This past week my dad died. I'm sure that this is something that will take me some time to come to terms with as I can't help but feel unbearably sad at times and unbelievably grateful for dad's memory at others. At any rate as I've had to go through the whole funeral/burial process I have there are several things that I've been thinking about.

Often as people have been leaving condolences they have said something to the affect of "If there is anything I can do, please let me know." Define this "anything." Like I have several papers that need to be written, can you work on those please. Or perhaps you could finish building a bookcase for me, or I heard that my sister needs a new roof. Can you work on that for us? Is there a limit to this "anything?"

Dad was in the Cleveland Clinic when he died, so people asking about his condition leading up to his death. Does it not occur to people that maybe having to describe, in detail, the progression of dad's health problems and hospital visits may not be something I want to do? I mean, who would actually want to talk about the details how one's parent died at the freaking funeral, burial, or viewing?

Finally if you are a friend of my dad's, who I have never before met, maybe you shouldn't ask me about if I'm dating and why I'm not married yet. Hell, even if you are a close relative or friend of mine maybe you should understand that asking about when I plan to "settle down" is a wee bit awkward at the moment.

At any rate, who really knows? Have a good one.

2 Comments:

Blogger Brittney Bodine said...

Art, I'm so sorry. I'll be keeping your family in my prayers.

10:08 PM  
Blogger jhorrocks said...

Our thoughts and prayers are with your and your family.

Haley

5:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home