Thursday, October 19, 2006

Brutus' College Options

Right now the central issue in my life is the decision to transfer schools or not. Currently I am at BYU Provo studying chemical engineering. I am pretty sure that I have two years before I will graduate if I stay here and that it will be similar should I choose to transfer. Below are my various options with some of the applicable pros and cons. To the right is a small poll. I would appreciate you taking the time to help me decide what it is I really want to do.

BYU
The options
I can either do one of two things. I have the option of taking this winter semester off, going home, and coming back in the summer to finish the math classes I need to take by this fall.

Pros: I'll get to spend time at home in Ohio, attend church in the branch, relax, and get to spend time with my parents before they leave on a mission. I would be free to use my Holland America Employee cruise in January or February.

Cons: My home town is very small and I would become very anti-social. I would have to take two hard math classes in the hot Utah sun and finish two independent study classes during my time in Ohio.

My other option is simply to continue on as normal, going to school this winter, not going home, and probably head back to Alaska this summer to work again.

Pros: I am familiar with BYU and the chemical engineering program. I have already done three and half years here and have my GEs done. I could probably return to work in Alaska again.

Cons: I don't like the Utah culture or being forced to attend a singles ward. My friends and roommates are graduating and I'll be forced to try to find places to live in the fall.

The University of Toledo
My parents are going on a mission in April and are looking for someone to live in our house while they are gone. The University of Toledo has a decent engineering program and I would have no problems finishing my degree there while looking after the house.

Pros: I would get to live at home. This school is where I have the easiest time succeeding since the program would be significantly less rigorous.

Cons: I would have to commute an hour each way to get to school everyday. I would be living in a huge house all by myself. The engineering program is less respected and I would probably have to get an advanced degree somewhere.

The Ohio State University
I would simply transfer to Ohio State and finish school there.

Pros: It has always been a dream to go to school there. It has the best engineering program of my three choices. It would be a great cross between UT and BYU; being in a large city where the church is fairly strong and is still in Ohio and close enough for me to go home should I feel the need to get away.

Cons: It is the most expensive. It is the hardest academically. I would probably have to work a lot harder to catch up in order to graduate in a timely manner.

I just don't know what I want to do as it seems to me that all are a good decision.

10 Comments:

Blogger Kathy said...

Wow, Brutus, I don't know what you should do.

10:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

None of the above. Transfer to SVU and get a liberal arts education and the experience of a lifetime! http://www.southernvirginia.edu

--Board reader who transferred and never regretted it

11:29 AM  
Blogger Handy or Not said...

I'm assuming that you applied to, and were accepted at, multiple colleges before attending BYU. Perhaps you should think back to why you chose to attend BYU in the first place. Then decide whether or not those reason still apply. Just a thought.

12:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I vote you stay here at BYU. Here is why.
1. You are already here.
2. You already have a job here.
3. Cost of living is cheap here (although, thinking about it, is may be even cheaper in Ohio.)
4. You are forced to be social.
5. You will grow as you learn to accept and embrace the mormon culture here in Mormondom.
6. There may be an increased chance of your finding a Sra. Brutus.
5. Even if there is no wife here for you here, the dating options here are much more expansive.
6. If you are hurthing that bad to day, just let the slyest badger you know know, and all will be well.
7. What would the kids on your bus route do without you?
8. Dan is going to be here for a long time yet. Room with him next year.
9. BYUs dance team is awsome!!! Yipeeeeeeeeee.
10. The academic vitality added to the BYU campus of the steller accounnting program is mathced by no one else.
11. There is no number 11
12. On second thought, maybe you are jsut in the wrong program here at byu.
13. I think you should get into the accounting program here, where all your wildest dreams come true.
14. I thougth I would add a 14 as it seems unlucky to stop at 13.

9:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

PS Brutus-have you ever been to SVU? Not only is it ridiculously priced, but it is not that great. If you are looking for an "experience" and not an education, join the peace corps or something. Think a college of hundreds in a town of a couple thousand. It is as half your high school graduating class moved to Soda Springs and started a college. Yipeeeeeeee.

9:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

SVU? If you want an experience, join the peace corps. If you want an education, look for an instition that has been accredited more than a couple years, that has more than a couple hundred folks going there.

9:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Also repeat yourself several times, like in the sciptures.

9:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

just "pray about it"

12:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That list was stupid.

9:33 AM  
Blogger Kathy said...

so what did you decide?

9:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home